You Can't Make This S**t Up

Because...you can't.

Friday, February 25, 2005

Oscar-ama

The Oscars. I don't care about them that much, but approach me about a pool and I'm all up in that stuff. I love debating who will win and why; so much goes into it, especially random emotion--kind of like the stock market. I look forward to seeing Chris Rock--I'm surprised he's such a controversial choice--and I know that there will be lots of surprises.

The biggest surprise to me is that The Aviator got such buzz. I'm sorry, but wasn't it a connect-the-dots Movie-of-the-Week biopic? Very surface suffering and an odd "why he's screwed up" childhood vignette does not add up to another Citizen Kane. Marty, I love you, but maybe you should go back to the old days of rough n' tumble heartfelt stories like Mean Streets. Hell, what do I know--I work in reality TV. But still.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    Yeah, the Oscars do get increasingly irrelevant, and yet, they're still the deb ball of the industry. I'll be watching even though I have very little rooting interest for anyone. It's one of those things you just do.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Michael P. Whelan said…

    There must be some acceptance of the bare facts that Oscar Awards this year went in some very deserved hands. Jamie Fox almost deserved his Oscar for his acceptance speech alone. Clint Eastwood is real, and in so being he stands as an inspiration and example to millions of young people who are interested in any aspect of the entertainmemt business, but more specifically in film, TO TELL A STORY. Morgan Freeman, and Hillary Swank gave performances which transcend the material. There were, in my humble opinion, some very real moments of human emotion and gratitude combined with redemption and triumph. All of the themes that drive the movies themselves.

    Michael P. Whelan

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Michael P. Whelan said…

    Excellent weblog, I will return

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Bunny said…

    I agree, many of the awards given were worthy. I too was heartened that The Aviator was not lavished with awards. Thanks for visiting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home