You Can't Make This S**t Up

Because...you can't.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Mall'ed.

Los Angeles has many malls, and the two newest shopping/entertainment centers are the Grove (near Farmer's Market) and Hollywood and Highland, the much-ballyhooed revitalization attempt of the pimps n ho's district of old-time Hollywood.

Walking around H&H yesterday, a very confusing myriad of upscale stores and random no-name outlets with a confounding set up of escalators and multi-levels, I realized it's the Paris Hilton of L.A. malls. Never will be invited to the Oscars, but will go to the after-parties. Skanky dressed up in designer wear. Not too smart either. (The parking is bizarre--people stand at aisles and wave you down to the right or left, preventing you from going straight ahead to pursue spots closer to the elevators. And the exit signs are misplaced and change every time you turn the corner!!)

Whereas the Grove, where I go frequently as it's near my work (good for rush-hour skipping movie watching), is like the Emmy-nominated actress: Probably not prestigious enough for the movies, but elegant, classy, and comfortable enough not to make you feel beneath her. It's very warm, very classy, and yet slightly tacky (it has a faux-European villa sense about it). It also has the NICEST PUBLIC RESTROOMS I HAVE EVER BEEN TO. In fact, this week I didn't make my usual pit stop at work before heading to the Grove, as I knew the bathrooms at their main entrance are nicer, and cleaner. I think that's won me over for life.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Jess said…

    So, I utilized the "next blog" feature and ended up here! So I guess we're neighbors...I appreciated the input about Elizabethtown--I was considering seeing it, but will now think twice--perhaps a matinee...

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    I hate that this movie is bad. I love Cameron Crowe and years ago saw many photos of him and Nancy at his Dad's funeral in Kentucky that were taken by his cousin, a friend of mine (I lived in Kentucky at the time). Maybe next time out...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home