You Can't Make This S**t Up

Because...you can't.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Short Term Memory Loss

I totally had a nice piece of harmless gossip and dang it if I can't remember it. Oh, well--I blame it on growing up watching MTV. This is also the reason why I switch the radio when an already good song (which almost never happens here!) comes on, or why I start yawning when a movie's inciting incident doesn't come immediately at minute 5. I berate myself for not being able to just. Slow. Down.

But I don't say I have ADD. Because I don't. How many of us actually do?

The friend for whom I travelled to New York is a grad student in psychology and firmly believes ADD is a made-up syndrome. Mind you, he believes some people do truly have problems, most of which are evidenced in learning disabilities, sharp, bright people who just have some issues putting ideas together straightforwardly. But today my supervisor spoke about babysitting a two year old ON RITALIN. What??? A two year old? Aren't kids just hyper? And the most severely troublesome, just have a few issues that extra tutoring and therapy can help? What's good about having toddlers walking around hopped up like Judy Garland?

There is one gal on the addictive reality show Starting Over who truly just couldn't stop--talking, walking, doing different things--she couldn't slow down (http://www.startingover.tv/wherearethey/Denise.html). There's people like her. But I'm thinking less than are actually on drugs.

I can't think of a snappy remark to finish this posting because I just got distracted my work email. Bye!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    I sometimes wonder if I have ADD, but it's probably just one of my many excuses for not following through on things. As for kids, as the father of a three- and one-year-old -- no way you can make what's essentially a psychological evaluation that young. The kids at least need to be able to talk and in some way "reason" with you before they should go into analysis. Let me guess -- this kid's parents are SoCal natives? ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home