You Can't Make This S**t Up

Because...you can't.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

These Are a Few of My Favorite Streets

There are several streets in Los Angeles that I love. Since I moved here way back 7 years ago (I think that makes me a native now), I've learned every shortcut, alternate route, and detour known to man. Seriously. Friends of mine who are natives even scratch their heads as I wind them around the messier parts of traffic.

Thus, the best streets are the ones that are not main thoroughfares. Maybe they don't have any entrances to freeways; no malls or big attractions. What they do have: LIGHTS.

Ah yes. Traffic lights!

There's Whitsett, which you can take south, south of Ventura and hook around on Laurelgrove to spill out on Laurel Cyn, bypassing the nonsense on the Studio City strip of Ventura Blvd.

Crescent Heights, of course, which is not quite at mass capacity but getting close--you can take it all the way from Venice in West LA to over the hill to Studio City, up the curves of Laurel Canyon.

Washington Blvd, a street that, despite some confusing switchy-changy in Culver City, can take you all the way from the ocean to downtown. A true beauty of a street when you're stuck on the ten and must.get.off.

I also quite like Burbank, it takes you all the way to Encino without a break, and rarely backs up.

If you don't like talking about traffic, you must not live in Los Angeles. As far as I'm concerned, LA taught me how to read maps and maintain a huge ability to navigate. Lost no more. And yet, it would be nice to have a subway system. That works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home