You Can't Make This S**t Up

Because...you can't.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Small World

It's really scary what a tiny, tiny town Hell-Ay actually is. I helped a good buddy get a job transcribing at the production company I work for, and the show she was logging (a typical 1/2 hour how-to reality show we specialize in), she recognized one of the homeowners as a former coworker.

It doesn't shock me. When I first moved here and got my first agent, I went out with a pal to celebrate. We went to this great little bar called Max's, on Fairfax (dearly departed now), and as me and my bud started chatting, a guy approached and asked if he could take an empty chair next to us.

I look up, and it's this guy I did theatre with in Chicago--mere months ago!

Of course, I had a sickening crush on him, and though it had mostly weathered away by then, it was even more delightful of a coincidence. He had moved out, as I did, to pursue acting, and I'm happy to say that he has quite a resume now. He's a semi-regular on a sitcom, pops up in commercials, and I saw him on an excellent episode of Without a Trace. I'm telling you...the world is just collapsing into one small neighborhood.

Then there was the surfer/actor I dated, who was from a tight theatre clique in Chicago. We knew generally of each other's theatrical resume, but on the second date, he started showing me pics of his Chicago buddies.

i realized that not only had I worked with one of his best friends on a show, but that I had met him. We both remembered the exact day - New Year's Day 1998 - it was for a rehearsal, during which I had to pretend to beat the shit out of his then girlfriend, who became his much-bemoaned ex.

Unreal.

The other weekend, a buddy who is on the editorial staff of a magazine recounted going to Teddy's, the ultra-exclusive club on Hollywood Blvd., where she saw: Paris Hilton, Mischa Barton, Lindsay Lohan, and Jamie Foxx. She said she just looked around her thinking, What the hell am I doing here? (Mind you, she's fabulous, interviews celebrities for a living, and all that, so she totally fit in, but starlets who unnecessarily make worldwide headlines all gathering in one place...it's a little ridiculous.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home