You Can't Make This S**t Up

Because...you can't.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Lonesome Jim

Jittery hand held camera. Understated-to-the-point-of-monotone acting. Preciously, uniquely "quirky" characters. Awkward moments of silence between characters.

There's this indie sensibility that I just described that hit movies in the '90s that still creeps into our pop culture today. It's tired and I'm sick of it!

I saw Lonesome Jim last week (it's released today) and I gave it kinda harsh review for the site for which I review the odd movie. 'Cause Casey Affleck has the charisma of a rock in it (he's playing a depressed writer and you know he's going for the 'ultra naturalistic REAL acting' style), the characters are all oddballs and offbeat, and people do things dispassionately (have sex, tell each other to go to hell) that people NEVER do dispassionately in real life. All in the name of verity, I imagine.

Plus it takes place in a "small town" in Indiana, but with large, nice houses in suburbs that seem relatively affluent. And yet, people are rubes, small minded, naive, etc. I hate portrayals of people in small midwestern towns as total nincompoops. Having lived in midwestern smallish towns, I can tell you that yes, sushi is considered poisonous and you probably won't find a lot of gay bars, but for heaven's sake, people aren't Amish-BACKWARDS. They have DSL and running water, okay?

Steve Buscemi directed it and for someone who acts shamelessly with such spitfire and vim and vinegar, I would have expected something that had a little more gusto. The script actually wasn't that bad, but the deliberately atonal silences and oddly timed humor was trying to hard.

Okay, my rant is over. I can rest now.

!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home